Easy Apple Crisp Bars, shortbread layer, apple filling and crisp topping make this dessert crunchy and juicy at the same time. It is very easy to prepare with a couple of basic ingredients and yet it will be all you need during these rainy fall days. You will surely enjoy in their amazing taste, magical smell and every bite of it, over and over again…
I feel especially inspired by the fall desserts; after hot summer days I like to heat my oven, bake some nice dessert and feel the real, cozy home atmosphere. I truly enjoy preparing and trying out some new recipes with my family, and the one we have recently tried is Easy Apple Crisp Bars.
I like the recipe because the dessert is really quick and easy to prepare with the ingredients you can always find in your kitchen- simple and tasty. These Easy Apple Crisp Bars have a shortbread layer made of: flour, butter, sugar, light brown sugar, vanilla extract and salt. The juicy part in the middle consists of: apples, sugar, light brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg. Crisp topping is made of flour, oats, light brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt.
As I´ve already mentioned all the simple ingredients and easy preparation and yet the taste is amazing! As I like shortbread, apple filling and crisp topping, Easy Apple Crisp Bars are my favorite. These delicious bars can be prepared in any season, though; in fall they taste the best. As for the apples, I prefer to use sweet ones, especially Granny Smith, but if you prefer sour apples, try adding some more sugar in the apple filling.
What do you need to prepare Easy Apple Crisp Bars?
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- All purpose flour
- Rolled oats
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Vanilla extract
How to prepare Easy Apple Crisp Bars?
Start with beating sugar, light brown sugar and butter until it gets light and fluffy, then add vanilla and beat some more until it´s well combined. Next, add some flour and salt and continue mixing until you get crumbly dough. Use an 8×8 inch pan to bake at 350 F. Meanwhile, peel the apples and slice them thinly and combine with flour, sugar, light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
When it´s baked, take the shortbread layer out of oven, but do not turn off the heat. Place the sliced apples over the shortbread layer and then make crisp topping. Start by putting all the necessary ingredients in the dish and cut in butter until crumbly using pastry cutter. Then spread crisp topping over the apples and bake for about 45 min or until the crisp topping becomes golden. Leave it in the pan to cool and then take it out of the pan and cut into bars.
This was a short version of the recipe and the detailed instruction, along with all the necessary ingredient, can be found at the bottom of this post.
To put it short, this is a very tasty dessert that deserves a special place in your cookbook, especially if you like apples and apple desserts. You can find more APPLE DESSERT recipes on our blog. If you are looking for more interesting tastes and ideas for Bars, make sure to visit our BARS AND BROWNIES page.
Fall has come in all its beauty, there is less sun and more rainy days. Make the best of the time spent at home by preparing something for you and your family. I suggest Easy Apple Crisp Bars, because you will be charmed by the smell of apples and cinnamon and delighted by its taste.
- SHORTBREAD CRUST:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- APPLE FILLING:
- 3 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. all purpose flour
- 4 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- CRISP TOPPING:
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 tbsp. butter, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- TO PREPARE SHORTBREAD CRUST - Preheat the oven to 350 F and line an 8x8 inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Then, beat sugar, light brown sugar and butter until it gets light and fluffy, using medium speed for about 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add vanilla and beat some more until it´s well combined and then fold in some flour and salt and continue mixing, at low speed until you get crumbly dough. Press dough into bottom of prepared pan. You should bake it for 12-14 minutes.
- TO PREPARE APPLE FILLING - Start by peeling and slicing apples thinly, then combine them with flour, light brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg, in a medium dish.
- When the shortbread layer is ready, take it out of the oven, keeping it on, at 350 F. Finally, spread the apples over the shortbread layer.
- TO PREPARE CRISP TOPPING - Put all the necessary ingredients in the dish and cut in butter until crumbly using pastry cutter.
- Spread crisp topping over the apples and bake for about 45 minutes or until the crisp topping becomes golden.
- Leave it in the pan to cool and then take it out of the pan and cut into bars.
- I used Granny Smith, but if you prefer sour apples, I suggest adding at least two more spoons of sugar in the apple filling.
- Apple crisp bars are best when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. They are best served at room temperature or warm.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 16 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 160mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 17gProtein: 2g